Monday, December 5, 2011

a few of my favorite things

Ginger Snaps

My mouth is watering just looking at these. They were the perfect compliment to my snickerdoodle coffee this morning. Below is a simple recipe for you to try you won't be disappointed I promise: 

Gingersnap Cookies Recipe

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 oz unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 small eggs or 1 1/2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon. salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

METHOD

1 Cream butter until soft; add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until fluffy.  Add molasses and beat until well-mixed. 
2 Sift the dry ingredients; add to the mixture, 1/3 at a time.  Mix only until the dry ingredients become incorporated. 
3 Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, so that some hangs over the outsides.  Press the dough into the bottom of the pan.  Pack it tightly, and try to make the top as level as possible.  Cover the dough with the plastic overhangs.  Freeze until very firm, preferably overnight. 
4 Unwrap and remove dough from the pan.  Slice brick into thin slices, no more than 1/8".  Place on a parchment or Silpat-lined sheetpan (space at least an inch apart) and bake at 350 degrees until the edges turn dark brown, 7-12 minutes, depending on how thinly you have sliced the dough. Check the oven for doneness at 7 minutes.

December Magazines

Other than the ritual of "rabbit rabbit" a month's start brings out fresh magazines to local drug stores. As you read in this passage  I have a serious issue (pardon the pun) with magazines. I always get excited at the month's start for new finds. December issues are always a necessity to pick up cause they include great gift suggestion sections. 

CVS brand: eye brightener/ Clinique: all about eyes

I've become obsessed with under eye protection lately. I've found this combo to be a winner for me. Putting on the Clinique cream first and following up with the eye brightener pen after. The caffeine in the pen really gives a nice jolt and wakes me up for the day. If I notice my eyes are puffy at the end of a long day I put on a layer of the Clinique cream before bed. 

Steve Madden: Champagne Glitter Flats

Sparkles are a thing that girls tend to never grow out of. I love the color of these it's a nice neutral. The glitter effect off these is a flit from across the room it's not overpowering. 

Tiffany & Co: Carousel Window

Here I thought Louis Vuitton could do no wrong when it came to carousel's, and than I saw this. Tiffany's Christmas display makes me want to miniaturize myself and hop on one of those tiny horses for a spin. This approach to holiday displays is classic and has a sense of innocence to it.  I could gaze after this display for hours, and lust after the jewels for the next lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment